Design Tips For Creating Your New Living Room
Decorating a new room is difficult but when it’s the living room, the pressure intensifies even more as anyone who comes into your home will be seeing and spending time in your living room. It is important for it to be comfortable but stylish as well. Here are a few tips to consider when you are decorating your new living room:
- Before you purchase anything, choose the style you want. There are many sources you can get your inspiration from such as magazines, blogs, tumblr, and the best one of all Pinterest. You can actually have a board on Pinterest and collect the images you find inspiring.
- Choose a colour scheme; if your living space is small it is best to go for light colours. Choose the tone of the colours, what do you like more cool or warm tones?
- Decide on the key furniture you want to have in the living room. Don’t go and buy them all on the same day, look around. Buying is easier than returning and you can always add more pieces. Decide on your essentials first such as the sofa, coffee table, and the TV unit – if you are thinking of having one. Leave the accessories to last.
- Mount curtains as high as possible to give the room more height and let them break 1 ½ inches on the floor.
- Your overhead light should be the length and the width of the room in feet and whatever number you come up with is, in inches. So, a 15 by 20 foot room would need a 35 inch wide chandelier.
- If your living room is small, rather having two sets of sofas go for a corner sofa. It will provide you with as much seating but won’t require as much space as two sofas would.
- If you have a fireplace but don’t burn anything, arrange candles of different sizes inside it. It will give a very cosy feel to the room –especially when they’re burning – and will score you extra decoration points.
- If you can’t find a coffee table that you like, use an ottoman instead. It will be a great addition to your décor and you can put a nice tray on it and arrange things.You can also place a blanket to make the room even cosier.
- If there are any graphic patterns you like but are not sure if they will work for you; instead of investing in a huge piece of furniture, try it first by incorporating it into your décor with little pieces. Cushions are a great way to start and they are inexpensive too. If you decide you don’t like them, you can changethem whenever you want.
- If you have bare walls and are not sure what to hang on them, hang a mirror. Sunburst mirrors are very trendy at the moment; however, any mirror that fits in well with your furniture will work great. It will decorate your wall and make your room appear bigger.
- Lastly, don’t be afraid of adding lamps into you décor. Use them generously, they look great in any room and there are many shapes to choose from.
Don’t forget that to completely decorate any room of the house can take months. For some, decoration never ends so don’t rush and buy everything at once; enjoy this process and take your time. Try and DIY some tasks as well to reflect your style and add a personal touch to your décor.